Wednesday, August 30, 2006





I've never been one to think things all the way through before I go off. Some of you out there might know what I'm talking about if you've ever been talked into one of my half-brained adventures... last weekend I decided to fly solo and go exploring, Norway sounded like a country worth conquering...

I flew into Torp, Norway early Saturday morning (I still can't find it on a map , all I know is it's near Oslo). On a suggestion from Rhino I decide to cross the country and head for a town called Bergen. A few months in Europe and you start to realise that most of the counties aren't very big and would be quite easy to cross. Well, Norway's a different story- it's big and it sure isn't easy.

I'm not sure when I realised I wasn't going to make it to Bergen- maybe it was after 4 hours on the road and the rivers were still running to the east; maybe it was when Elton John's CD looped around and Sacrifice played for the third time; maybe it's when I realised that Norwegian highways are glorified country roads without a center line (see below); or maybe it was when the sun set.
Either way 485 kilometers and 7 hours later I conceded victory for day one and bunked down in a small fishing town that started with an 'H' and was pronounced like a cough. And for those of you who are curious- despite my big talk, I didn't sleep in the car. Instead I opted for a ridiculously overpriced hotel (more on that in a minute).

Sunday morning I was up early like a good catholic and on the road- Bergen or bust! The rain started on early in the morning but I've got to be honest, it didn't dampen things to much, the west coast of Norway is incredible scenic- perfectly fitting with a little rain.

Part of the reason it takes so long to get around Norway is because there's so much water. The west coast is like a jagged saw blade- nothing but fjords, rivers, and mountains. It was only 120 km for the H-town to Bergen but it took all morning to reach because around every corner was another ferry crossing...


...after one ferry crossing it was looking more like 'bust' than Bergen. I had a little spin-out on the road because of not one, two, or three but four nealy flat tires (no idea, but probably terrorists, right George?). Disaster averted and crappy gas mileage explained- I rolled into Bergen triumphantly! Boo-yah.

Bergen was awesome- great town, great hiking, great beer! Interesting side note- when I landed in Torp I was surprised to see that Norway wasn't on the Euro. I hadnt done my homework and just assumed it was. I decided to play a little game. I spent the weekend without knowing the exchange rate from British pounds to Norwegian krones. I wanted to see if after a weekend I could guess what it was from the stuff I purchased. Long story short, I was WAY off. Norway's freekin' expensive. You're looking at a 6 pound (or $11) beer below my friends.Monday morning I woke up and headed back across Norway. The drive was unreal... I'll let some of the pictures speak for themselves.

That's a long way down... no guard rail!

That's a 3 story building there on the cliff's edge!1030 kilometers in a grand total of 52 hours in Norway. Not bad.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME trip Tim. That awesome that you can see so much from the road! I love Norway too but I am way to scared of the 8 dollar open faced sandwiches to ever go back. Again, wish I could have been there!
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. i apologize for the spelling and gramatical mistakes, turns out you can't edit comments. opps. -t

    ReplyDelete

Cheerio and stuff. Thanks for leaving a comment- always appreciated (especially from bago). Do me one favor, refrain from using last names... don't want big brother tracking anybody down. Oh and try not to swear too much- my mom reads this shit.

Tim